Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Fiber Production

It is all going to start with an Angora rabbit.

I love to knit. I think it is a great hobby and also an essential skill for anyone who is trying to be self-sufficient. I am self taught and have lately had the courage to try more gutsy patterns to take myself from novice to advanced (thank you Ravelry).

But now I want to take it another step further. I want to spin my own yarn, and not only that, I want to produce and harvest my own fiber. I can't raise a flock of sheep in our condo, but I sure can raise an Angora rabbit. Jake and I had entertained the idea before but were never that serious about it. Honestly we actually just joked about it. But that farming itch is getting harder and harder to scratch and we are tired of just dreaming and need to take action.

I did a search online of breeders in my area and found a nice little backyard operation in Green Bay. I contacted Kristen of Urban Abode and learned she had a litter of German Hybrids (an even mix of German and French Angora) that would be ready in March. I learned that the Hybrids are great if you are looking for ease of care as well as great fiber production. Kristen says the mindset behind crossing the two breeds is to combine the depth of color of the French Angora breed with the incredible production abilities of the German Angora. As an adult, the Hybrid can be expected to provide 5 or more ounces of fiber three to four times a year.

After viewing the Hybrid kits, I decided to purchase a little black doe from Kristen. Even better, I'm not actually purchasing her, I am bartering for her. It just so happens Kristen needs my graphic design expertise's to get a website groomed for her urban homestead operation. Design services for an Angora rabbit? Um..... hell yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment