Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

From the garden to the jar


Thanks to my husband's hard work this year in our first garden, I picked a plentiful harvest of tomatoes and green peppers. I'm so proud, he really put his heart and soul into making this garden work. Overall I say it was a success, I'm sure he will later elaborate on the trials and tribulations of the first garden.

I have been dreaming of making some canned pasta sauce to better preserve our bounty so I had been gathering supplies (large canner from a thrift store, Ball canning utensil set, jars from the grocery store). I have to admit, I was very nervous about my first ever canning session. I had watched my in-laws can pickles a few weeks ago and I was quite intimidated by that. However, I knew that the only way I was going to learn was to just go ahead and do it. And if I failed, at least I would learn from my mistakes and try again.

I found a simple recipe here. I kind of made it my own since I like a lot of flavor, plus I am part Sicilian so if it calls for garlic, I at least double the amount. I actually used garlic powder since what I thought was garlic from the garden were actually premature white onions (I failed to consult my husband on which row was what), live and learn I guess. The sauce tasted pretty good when it was done, and when it came to canning it, it luckily went pretty smoothly. I found that the canning utensils I had purchased came in handy - like the magnet on a stick that fishes out the lids from the boiling water. My mother-in-law had told me to make sure that the lips of the glass jars were spotless before I put the lids on, otherwise they would not seal in the canner. I was very anal about this step but it paid off because all five jars of sauce sealed.

Yes, I said all five jars. It takes a lot of tomatoes to make sauce.


But it is five less jars I will have to buy at the store, plus it is made from fresh, hand-picked tomatoes that we grew ourselves and that in itself is well worth it. I feel I will taste our whole experience when we eat this sauce come winter. I just hope it does not spoil, I know all the lids sealed but sometimes even sealed stuff can go bad. I guess only time will tell.

If anyone is interested in canning, my first suggestion is to find someone you know who does it so you can see it in real life and get those great tips that you may not find in books or online. If you do not know anyone who cans, books and websites may be your only resources and that is okay, we all have to start somewhere. The initial set up cost seems pricey but in long term you save, plus you'll have good food all year long! Also check out thrift stores and rummage sales for used canning supplies. These items have changed very little over the years and you can score some good deals on used goods.

Stay tuned for future canning adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment