Pages

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sauce Makin', Son!


I want to extend a special thanks to my husband's grandmother who so graciously gifted us a huge box of Beefsteak and Amish Paste Tomatoes to make sauce with. Unfortunately with our drought conditions we did not get the yield we wanted from our garden this year but lucky for us we have an extended family who also gardens. Last night, Jake and I peeled, cut and sieved the whole box in one sitting. We were left with 26 cups of red pulpy goodness. I am hoping to get at least 7 quarts of sauce.

So today I am making the sauce before I go to work and will can it tomorrow. I find it is less overwhelming if you break up the workload over the course of a few days and it helps if the entire family can pitch in. Plus Jake and I actually enjoyed peeling tomatoes together. We put the music on and just got to be next to each other and talked about the baby and whatever else came across our minds. It was so nice to unplug and just be with each other for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment